One of the most important ways we help aspiring veterinary technicians and veterinarians is through our externship programs. To prepare students for their careers, we believe that first-hand experience is the best teacher.
Where We Offer Externships
We offer externships at all of our locations throughout Chicagoland and Northwest Indiana. Please use the links below to learn more about our hospitals and see which one best matches your interests!
- Midwest Animal Hospital - 11205 183rd Pl, Mokena, IL 60448
- Countryside Veterinary Center - 9823 W 55th St, Countryside, IL 60525
- Coyne Veterinary Center- 10969 Broadway, Crown Point, IN 46307
- Coyne Veterinary Center - 3411 Airport Rd, Portage, IN 46368
- Coyne Veterinary Center - 10801 Wicker Ave, St John, IN 46373
- Old Town Animal Care Center - 511 W North Ave, Chicago, IL 60610
- City Line Veterinary Center - 2141 1st Street A, Moline, IL 61265
- South Suburban Low Cost Veterinary Services - 135 W Joe Orr Rd, Chicago Heights, IL 60411
- Yorkville Animal Hospital - 102 Garden St, Yorkville, IL 60560
- Glen Ellyn Animal Hospital - 21 S Park Blvd, Glen Ellyn, IL 60137
- Carriage Animal Hospital - 244 W Roosevelt Rd, Lombard, IL 60148
As an extern, you will work under the direct supervision of an experienced veterinarian at one of our Coyne animal hospitals. To complete your externship, you will need to fulfill a set of objectives predetermined by your college or university. You will have the opportunity to work alongside other Coyne professionals and actively participate in every aspect of patient care.
We're not just looking for talent; we like to get to know our externs and help them maximize their potential. Every student learns at their own pace, but we want to make sure we're giving you the best tools.
Since Coyne practices are open 7 days a week and accept walk-ins only, you can expect to see a high volume of patients and clients. This will give you the opportunity to learn at a much faster pace than you would at a standard appointment-only practice. Like our employees, we expect externs to work hard, interacting with our clients and getting hands-on experience.
Some of the primary tasks you'll be expected to perform include:
- Gathering patients' medical histories
- Performing nose-to-tail physical exams
- Formulating and implementing diagnostic and therapeutic care plans
- Using cutting-edge tools and technology
- Scrubbing into surgery
- Helping your supervising DVM manage various medical cases
- Providing wellness care
- Sharpening your client communication skills
- Fine-tuning your clinical and technical skills
- Understanding and adhering to the Coyne business model
To apply for an externship, you must be:
- Enrolled in an accredited doctor of veterinary medicine program
- Authorized to work in the United States
- Available to work days, evenings and weekends
Complete and submit the form to inquire about veterinary externship opportunities.
Students looking to become veterinary technicians will get to work with a full team of veterinarians, technicians, and more to obtain firsthand experience at one of our Coyne locations. You can expect a fast-paced environment and a high number of patients and clients. If you're fully committed to working in veterinary medicine, you won't find a better place to learn and grow.
You will work under the supervision and instruction of a licensed veterinary technician for the duration of your externship. You and your mentor will follow an established set of objectives assigned by your school. The goal is to prepare you for a career with Coyne by providing a quality learning environment during your clinical period. Additionally, after completing your externship you will be better prepared for your state exam and/or Veterinary Technician National Exam (VTNE).
For eligibility, applicants must be:
- Enrolled in an AVMA/CVTEA-accredited Veterinary Technology program
- Authorized to work in the United States
- Available to work days, evenings, and weekends
For program placement, applicants need to participate in the application, selection, and onboarding process.
Complete and submit the form to inquire about veterinary technician externship opportunities.